Import duties and regulation change in Sri Lanka

Posted by Bob On Tuesday, April 26th, 2011

Dear All our Sri Lanka Customers

Apr, 25, 2011 – Sri Lanka has raised import duties on several categories of petrol-engined cars with steeper increases seen in larger hybrid vehicles, which had exceptionally low taxes earlier, officials said.

A senior Lanka’s Treasury said there were revisions on several categories of vehicles. On petrol cars with standard engines with capacities below 1,000 cubic centimeters the effective total tax rate will go up from the current 95 percent to 120 percent.

Between 1000 to 1,600 cc the effective rate will go up from 119 to 128 percent. On three wheelers the effective rate will go up from 38 percent to 50 percent.

On hybrid cars with engines below 2,000 cubic centimeters total duties will go up from 38 percent close to 50 percent.

Deputy director general of customs Ajantha Dias said an excise duty was raised by 8.0 percent but it will take up the total duties by a larger amount when added together.

On hybrids between 2,000 to 3000 cc duty will go up close to 75 percent and above 3,000 cc to 100 percent.

In the past two months about 3,000 hybrids have been imported to the country,

“Excise duty category for all vehicles (including hybrid) increased wef from last night. Not sure about the exact figures.

Also maximum import limit is set to 2 years (instead of 3.5 years).”

Thanks,

leave a response, trackback from your own site

22 Responses to “Import duties and regulation change in Sri Lanka”

1. Indrani Wimalasena says:

Pl let me know the tax calculation

2. bobu says:

It will be depends on the Maker and models. Tax calculation is based on the Government Valuations.

Please send me your email address. We will send you our Agent contact details.

3. Mueez says:

I heard that importable period for Vans are 5 Years and for Cars it is 2 Years please Explaine me.

4. Kumara was says:

pl. sent to me new & used vehicle imported tax Scheme.

5. bobu says:

Yes, you are correct. But it could change easily to 2 years for the vans and trucks as well. The regulation could change at any time.

6. Ifthikar says:

Any car clearance agent please mail me. ifthy.cars@gmail.com

7. Denzil Wickramasuriya says:

Could you please explain if i buy a van (for tourisam)through gift permit scheme how much will be serve for me.could you please explain about duty calculation for a vehicle.(hiace van with seat,2006 registed)

thanks

denzil

denzilwick@gmail.com

8. bobu says:

We can export your cars to the final destination of your port however, for the duties and taxes you would need to find out through your Land of Transport Department we believe. If you would like to know regarding the prices of cars, we can help you without any problems. THank you.

9. Nirosha says:

please send me new used vehicle imporrt tax schem

10. Aruna says:

Now I’m in a foreign country. I want to bring a car (FOB value USD 17000.00) when I come to Sri Lanka. What can be the total duty at Sri Lanka customs ?

11. bobu says:

Thank you very much for your inquiry. We do export to Sri Lanka. We can tell you all the costs up to Colombo port , Sri Lanka. However after arriving at SL you would need to find out the duties and taxes and regulations. We do know some dealers in SL if you are serious about importing a car, please let us know your mobile number then our dealer can call you direct. If you can send that by email to me, that would be great. bob@b-spex.com Thank you.

12. bobu says:

Apologize for the delay. we can tell you all the costs up to Colombo Port, SL. However all the duties and taxes you would need to find out. if you are serious about importing a car, please let us know your mobile number then our dealer can call you direct. If you can send that by email to me, that would be great. bob@b-spex.com Thank you.

13. rajiv says:

I am keen to get a wagon type prefer Honda Airwave with all options and skyroof. Also any Hybrid models with sufficient space to sit at the rear.

14. bobu says:

Toyota Prius, Honda Insight are the most popular models. Thank you. any more questions please send email to bob@b-spex.com

15. Amr Rizwie says:

I need a vehicle clearance urgent. If anyone here mail me on amrrizwie@yahooo.com

16. I WANT TO IMPORT USED VAN FOR MEDICAL USE – AMBULANCE UNDER NGO.

HOW OLD MUST THE VAN BE?

WHAT IS THE DUTY I HAVE TO PAY?

17. Jaan says:

Hi,
    I am living in UK and looking forward to transport 2010 Honda Civic 2.2 I-CTDi Type S GT 3dr Hatchback, or 2008 NISSAN NAVARA D/C PICK UP AVENTURA 2.5DCI to SriLanka. Please let me know the latest duty calculations for these vehicles. Thanx!

18. bobu says:

Apologize for the delay in getting back to you. New Sri Lanka regulation must be 2011 up.
    Any further inquiry please email to bob@b-spex.com
    Thank you.

19. TRADEMELK says:

We import Japanese vehicles under Customer request also if need under there names
    visit for latest Stock
    Your prompt reply will be highly appreciated
    sales@trademelk.com

20. bobu says:

Thank you very much for your inquiry. Which country are you importing cars to?

We can provide you Online auction Data service. If you are interested, please let us know.

Bob

21. bobu says:

We can help you to purchase any kind of vehicle however for the import regulation and duties and taxes, you would need to find out. Thank you

22. bobu says:

Apologize for the delay.

One of our Dealer in SL.

Asiri Motor Traders (Pvt) Ltd +94 777 481775

He should be able to help you.

Regards,